19 Best Lyrics of the Year...
In No Particular Order
by Matt Cibula
"You thought you'd never live to find/All the things inside/What about truth?/It's something you don't often find/Well, don't forget the sky/Fools/If you're waiting on some paradise/Well don't forget your lives"
--Circulatory System, "Inside Blasts," Circulatory System
--Michael Franti & Spearhead, "Oh My God," Stay Human
3) "Fuck five/I want a hundred and eight mics"
--Cannibal Ox, "Iron Galaxy," The Cold Vein
4) "My mama told me Lee Perry/Was mah daddy"
--Dubchek, "Lee Perry," Down Memory Gap Lane
--Karsh Kale, "Empty Hands," Realize
6) "E no final desta cancao eu faco todo o amor/Tocar num disco reluzente com um balanco assim/Pra esquentar as suas noites onde voce for, menina" (Translation from the Portuguese: "And at the end of this song I make all the love/Play on a shining disc with a beat like this/To heat the nights where you are, girl")
--Moreno Veloso, "Arrivederci," Music Typewriter
7) "Be a witch, girl/Be a thief, girl/Steal my crown and resurrect me/Be a nymph, girl/A cool thief, yeah/Burn the night and dance around me"
--The Cult, "Shape The Sky," Beyond Good and Evil
--Shakira, "Whenever, Wherever," Laundry Service
9) "Sometimes my head is like a box/Catches wind and floats for, like, three blocks/I'll get recycled if I get caught"
--Love As Laughter, "Miss Direction," Sea to Shining Sea
--Tenacious D, "Fuck Her Gently," Tenacious D
11) "How do I love you?/Deeply with my scalpel/I've got a mouthful/Of suicidal drugs"
--Frank Black and the Catholics, "Hermaphroditos is My Name," Dog in the Sand
12) "I never said that I wouldn't throw my jacket in the mud for you/But my father gave it to me so I guess I should carry you/Then you said I almost dropped you/So then I did/And I got mud on my shoes"
--The White Stripes, "I'm Finding it Hard to Be a Gentleman," White Blood Cells
13) "With your name in wet concrete you ain't own the block/Let your money counter tick time still gonna tock/You could walk around in a Hennessey bliss/'N keep fuckin' those bitches you ain't even kiss/You could keep gettin' high with those tears in your eyes/'N keep tellin' yourself you like fuckin' them guys"
--Mystic, "Ghetto Birds," Cuts for Luck and Scars for Freedom
|courtesy Mammoth Records|
--Joe Henry, "Richard Pryor Addresses a Tearful Nation," Scar
15) "Smilin' while you're crying/You must be insane/Oh I caught you smilin'/While you were holding back the pain"
--The Poets of Rhythm, "Smilin' (While You're Crying)," Discern/Define
16) "What they don't know is/The bullshit, the drama/The guns, the armour/The city, the farmer/The babies, the mama/The projects, the drugs/The children, the thugs/The tears, the hugs/The love, the slugs"
--DMX, "Who We Be," The Great Depression
17) "Bazeecha-é-atfal hai duniy meré gé/Hot hai shab-o-roz tam sh meré gé" (Translation from the Urdu: "To me this world is a child's playground/A spectacle goes on day and night before me")
--Sanjeev And Karuna, "B-azeecha-é-atfal Hai Duniy Meré vgé," Inspiration Unfolding
--Brave Captain, "Hermit vs. the World," Nothing Lives Long, He Sang, Only the Earth and the Mountains
19) "Heard about circumstances/Heard about the devil's son-in-law/Heard about the High Sheriff from Hell/Heard about the Great Migration/Heard about the Barrel House/Ragtime in the parlor room downstairs"
--Jay Farrar, "Outside The Door," Sebastapol